cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM Reporting High Utilization on ATM ports that do not have high utilizati

jboake
Level 1
Level 1

DFM is reporting highutilization on an ATM port that is shows a lower utilization. The deviece is being monitored in Concord as well as DFM and the reports differ. DFM reports at 20% higher utilization than Concord and even the port counters show. The only thing I can find is that DFM is reporting ATM duplex as half, and ATM, as far as I know, does not have duplex settings.

Am I misisng something?

2 Replies 2

elsie.leung
Level 1
Level 1

This is interesting. I have a similar problem. Concord reports lower utilization then nGenius on a 6509. I have it found out there isn't a 64-bit counter MIB for ATM PVC when the link is over 100Mbps. Cisco has acknowledged the problem with ATM VC MIB variables in 6509 and is looking up their roadmap to see which release of IOS is going to include the 64-bit counter for ATM VC.

Cisco suggested we "FAST" poll the ATM port on Concord, it didn't work here.

dpkretzmer
Level 1
Level 1

The pages 3-12 thru 3-14 in the DFM Users Guide give a good explanation of what DFM does to determine utilization if duplex is unknown. If the duplex is unkown or the interface has no duplex setting, then DFM uses a mathematical procedure to calculate the utilization, which they state may be higher than actual.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: