cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Limitations for 6504-E

jabowden
Level 1
Level 1

My company is looking to build a solution that would be used in large venues and events such as stadiums with massive amounts of people/devices (around 80,000 people/devices assuming all seats were filled). Right now we have targeted the 6504-E with redundant WS-SUP720-3BXL supervisor modules.  Would something like this be able to theoretically sustain such a large number of DHCP requests?

5 Replies 5

mgalazka
Level 1
Level 1

Are you looking to run DHCP on the 6500 directly, or just use ip helper-address configuration to have the router forward DHCP requests to a DHCP server on a different L3 network?

No, we're looking to handle DHCP on-site and not use DHCP relay.  So the SUP module would be handling DHCP.  Looks like I was a tad off on my estimate for seat count, the number is actually closer to 20,000 seats.  I have asked for the same question to our reseller, and I'm still waiting for their response.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Uh-oh.   This sounds like a wireless deployment.

But first, a word from our sponsors ...

First, 6504E with Sup card.  I see two issues here ... If you use a 6504E with two supervisor cards per chassis, this leaves you two empty line cards.  You think 96 PoE copper ports are enough?  Next, your selection of the supervisor card may no longer be applicatble because the non-VSS version of the Sup720 is already end-of-sale.

I'd recommend a pair of 6506E with VS-Sup2T (same price as the Suup720) and then form a VSS with both chassis for easier management.

Let me know if you're interested with the wireless.

The plan is to use two SUP modules and two line cards, which will handle all of the connections that we need for this setup.  Thanks for your recommendations, I'm not sure this project could budget for two 6506E's unfortunately.

No problem.

Get the quote for a Sup2T.

Is this going to be a wireless deployment?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: