Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between Multimode Fiber Optics

ramkunta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I was wondering what is the difference between GLC-SX-MM and GLC-SX-MMD.

Cisco website says that MMD is with DOM, kindly help me understand what it is.

Thanks,

Ram

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The difference between the two is the DOM functionality.  DOM stands for Digital Optical Monitoring.  Basically it's a function that allows network adminstrator determine the send/receive power, temperature, winning lotto number.

DOM is very, very helpful and I wouldn't purchase anything without one.

View solution in original post

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ram,

Digital diagnostics monitoring

Modern optical SFP transceivers support digital diagnostics monitoring (DDM) functions according to the industry-standard SFF-8472.  This feature is also known as digital optical monitoring (DOM). This  feature gives the end user the ability to monitor real-time parameters  of the SFP, such as optical output power, optical input power,  temperature, laser bias current, and transceiver supply voltage.

Nothing as far as i see it has some added advantage of digital diaganostics than the legacy model.

Please do rate for the helpful posts.

By

Karthik

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A question probably better asked in the Optical Networking forum, but suspect the DOM version will provide optical stats (e.g. like received strength of optical signal).

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The difference between the two is the DOM functionality.  DOM stands for Digital Optical Monitoring.  Basically it's a function that allows network adminstrator determine the send/receive power, temperature, winning lotto number.

DOM is very, very helpful and I wouldn't purchase anything without one.

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ram,

Digital diagnostics monitoring

Modern optical SFP transceivers support digital diagnostics monitoring (DDM) functions according to the industry-standard SFF-8472.  This feature is also known as digital optical monitoring (DOM). This  feature gives the end user the ability to monitor real-time parameters  of the SFP, such as optical output power, optical input power,  temperature, laser bias current, and transceiver supply voltage.

Nothing as far as i see it has some added advantage of digital diaganostics than the legacy model.

Please do rate for the helpful posts.

By

Karthik