cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different default route for the isdn callin

pierlu
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1601 router configured to accept ppp-chap calls.

It is configured with a default gateway and this should remain unchanged.

What is the most 'elegant' way to configure the dialer to make the ppp client follow a different default route without touching the routing table of the client?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume, when you mention "dialer" means the interface on a 1601 which terminate the incoming call.

Once the route is configured with a default route and once the default route is in the routing table, it will be followed if no specific route is matched with the packet to be routed.

So now other way to make the dialup client to follow any other default route. However you can use "Policy Based Routing" based on a source of a packet the packet will be routed. Pl. visit

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/techno/protocol/tech/plicy_wp.htm

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume, when you mention "dialer" means the interface on a 1601 which terminate the incoming call.

Once the route is configured with a default route and once the default route is in the routing table, it will be followed if no specific route is matched with the packet to be routed.

So now other way to make the dialup client to follow any other default route. However you can use "Policy Based Routing" based on a source of a packet the packet will be routed. Pl. visit

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/techno/protocol/tech/plicy_wp.htm

Thank for your reply, I configured my router using your suggestions.

I noted however that policy routing, at least on my 12.0 ios, does not correctly support configurations via dialer-ip announced via proxy-arp on the eth interface.

I have than assigned a pool of addresses on the dialer interface not overlapping with the ethernet block of addresses.

For the people reading I paste a sample of the confiiguration that here is functioning bullet-proof:

[192.168.2.217 is a ppp client calling ip, 192.168.1.2 is the gateway associated to the clients, 192.168.1.1 is the primary gateway for the lan]

!

version 12.0

!

int dialer1

ip policy route-map tagthis

ip route-cache policy

!

route-map tagthis permit 10

match ip address 17

set ip default next-hop 192.168.1.2

!

access-list 17 permit 192.168.2.217

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: