cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS names and CW2K

hbca
Level 1
Level 1

Device with multiple interfaces and IP addresses has DNS name. DNS name is defined against Loopback interfce. When CW2K discovers this device ( not in seed file) it does not resolve DNS name and adds IP address of one of the interfaces. How can I get DNS name in CW2K, not an IP address? I don't want to make changes manualy. What is the rule CW2K follows when it picks up deviceID ( IP address or DNS name)?

Does it take information from CDP?

3 Replies 3

minie
Level 4
Level 4

Did you configure "Use Reverse DNS Lookup" under "server config > setup > ani server admin > discovery settings"? If you looked your ANIServer.properties file, iare following entries set to true.

nameserver.usedns=true

nameserver.resolveByName=true

krozier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi hbca!

I had this exact problem in CW2K with L3 switches configured with Loopback addresses. What Minie stated above needs to be done, but that was not enough. It is also necessary to change a properties in the ANIServer.Properties file located $NNMROOT\CAMPUS\ETC\CWSI\ directory, where NNMROOT is the CW2K install directory(usually c:\progra~1\Cscopx). Within ANIServer.Properties file change "nameserver.useloopbackaddress" to true. Save the file, start and stop the ANIServer Service and then do a rediscovery. I attatching the document that helped me. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Kersean

Thanks everyone for the info. We started doing what is recomended in the document, and I will modify properties file.

Thanks again

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card