cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Load Balancing

kenoc
Level 1
Level 1

I have two routers at a site. Each are running EIGRP within the same AS. (Router A and Router B). How do I implement load balancing over each routers serial interface so that 50% of the traffic is handled by each interface. PLEASE NOTE: This is not one router with two serial interfaces, but two separate routers. Would HSRP help in anyway??

Router A (serial interface IP 10.5.5.1) EIGRP (AS 100)

Router B (serial interface IP 10.5.5.2) EIGRP (AS 100)

5 Replies 5

olorunloba
Level 5
Level 5

You will need to configure your network such that both routers knows the route to the remote via the their serial interfaces and also via each other, set vhe variance to accommodate the routes from the other router. The router should load balance then

It would have to be handled by another router in front on the two with the serial links.

Please explain why. Thanks

I think olorunloba's way is on the mark. You could also use MHSRP, but this requires you to configure some devices behind the routers with with one gateway (router A's VIP) and others with a second gateway (router B's VIP).

Not applicable

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in this instance utilizing EIGRP on the Serial interface, AND turning on HSRP between the 2 routers causes more problems than you can shake a stick at.

Now having said that, utilizing map-class and QoS or CEF packet level may achieve the required purpose, if this was one device, but with it being two....

I believe I concur that you must have a router behind these two devices providing for CEF through both. This device would have EIGRP available to respond to the AS.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card