Views
Helpful
Replies

EOS/EOL for WS-C6506-E Chassis

amitengg.86
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone,

Can anyone please help me in finding out the EOL announcement for "WS-C6506-E (R7000) processor" chassis ?

I tried looking over the internet and Cisco website but couldn't find any.

If there is announcement beinf made then what is the upgrade path ?

Very Thanks,

Amit Bansal

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Currently, it's only for the non "-E" chassis only. 

EOS for Selective Cisco Catalyst 6503,Catalyst 6506 and Catalyst 6509 Chassis

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Leo describes, they haven't gone EoL yet, but with the 6800 series now out for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if an EoL announcement was made sometime this year (2017).  If they do go EoL the likely upgrade path would be to the 6800 series device.  Another possible replacement path might be to use a 4500 series device, although Cisco would probably not recommend them as an upgrade replacement device.

I wouldn't be surprised if an EoL announcement was made sometime this year (2017).

Announcement is eminent.  

Sup2T and Sup6T IOS are at a certain level of maturity.  10- and 40 Gbps line cards are now available.  All the ducks are lined up in neat rows.  All it takes now if for someone to "pull the trigger".

Another possible replacement path might be to use a 4500 series device

With line cards capable of supporting uPoE & mGIG, 4500R+E, particularly Sup8E/LE, will be delegated to access switching.  

Hi,

Any update regarding this...??

We had 3 6506-E switches which we were planning to use. But we need to buy new gig line card for deployment. If its End of life date is announced then we are planning to go for new series.

I have searched the net but couldn't find any information regarding EOL 6506-E model.

Hi 

Thanks for the reply,

In that link, its mentioned that 1 gig ethernet fiber line card end of sale has been announced. We actually need to procure this line card. so as per cisco this line card is not available for sale...??

Not new from Cisco. You might find one still in the pipeline, or a used one, though.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: