Level 1

Hi ,

if following is the scenario

server vlan

|

internet router--firewall-L3 switch-router run ospf

|

workstation vlan

which vlan should the firewall be member of ? a separate Vlan ? if a separate vlan will the l3 intervlan work.

is it advisable to enter a default route pointing to the firewall at L3 switch and for a routing in private wan enable ospf ?

thanks will appreciate the help.if any one has link of a document on this please let me know.

5 Replies 5

bmehdi
Level 1
Level 1

server vln and workstation vlan are on l3 switch

You are Right. All your Internet traffic should flow via firewall. So default gateway on L3 switch should point to firewall. Now keeping above topology in view , your firewall and L3 switch should have same VLAN.

Now in which VLAN you should keep firewall is - matter of security. If you want these two ports fully secure , create one more VLAN and put these two port in that VLAN ( definitely you have to create virtual interface on L3 switch for this VLAN ). This will protect your firewall from all broadcast and unnecessary traffic too.

yipn
Level 1
Level 1

Preferable to use routed port if the L3 switch run native IOS, or a separate VLAN if CatOS is used.

Yes, using default route pointing to firewall and OSPF for internal network is quite a common way.

you mean i shud use two routed ports , one of l3 with firewall and other of l3 with my router

yes