Views
Helpful
Replies

Flow Control & HOL Blocking

kulinski
Level 1
Level 1

hi together,

i've been searching severals hours in internet and at cco but what i found didn't made me satisfied.

Maybe someone is able to help me with my questions...

here they are.... :)

the default time for pause time by annex 31b is 512 bit times - is there any change in cisco's defaults in competition with this value ?

what happens in detail during the 30 to 35 seconds of link down when i change the flow control status of an interface ?

are flow control and hol blocking able to influence each other ?, say is it possible to get a large delay by using flow control and having an oversubscribed backplane ?

or am i right to say that a packet in one of the queues cannot be influenced by flow control ?

be sure i'd be so thankful for a few ideas or links about that...

kind regards

Chris Kulinski

1 Reply 1

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

I think using flow control in catalyst switches provides some delay since it sends a special packet called pause frame to the remote end asking the remote to stop sending for a period of time.But if we are able to change the default pause time, then we can reduce this delay factor.(Low Pause Time, low delay)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: