Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTP problem

While doing FTP transfer from servers located on different VLAN (Vlan 1 and VLAN 4) Data transfer will be interrupted due to communication lost between the two, I thought I lost the physical links but when I'll try to ping the other servers it responds. Meanwhile if the two servers are co located on the same Vlan I dont experience such problem.

Do we have issue on FTP running in VLAN networks? please advise.

Thanks

Leo

2 Replies 2

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

You should be able to FTP between VLANs however, because you need an additional 'device', a router of some description, to route between the VLANs, you are adding latency which could cause problems if there are delays in the network through bursty traffic etc.

aashish.c
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If inter-vlan routing is happening through a router there can be delays as router doesn`t do routing at higher data rates. but an alternative is you can make PVLAN on a switch and put the servers in promiscous ports for primary Vlan and hosts in secondary vlan. This way you can isolate the servers from some hosts and can intercommunicate between them, without using a router.

read more about PVLANS :

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12220se/3750scg/swpvlan.htm

PVLNS are supported from 3750 onwards.

regards

aashish C

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card