cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GBIC/SFP Compatiblity

gregorymccarty
Level 1
Level 1

I have several Catalyst 3524XL switches with LX GBICs running on Multi Mode Fiber. I am adding a 3750G into the network and would like all of the 3524XLs to connect to this switch. What SFP device do I use to connect to an LX GBIC on MMF?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

From my personal exp we do have 2950s installed with LX GBICs patched up with 3750S SFP which is again LX version.

We did try patching them up with both SMF and MMF patch cords in which both of them brought the link up.

The point to be checked out here is one of the sides will be having SC connector (3550)the other side will be of LC connector (3750)..

But do remember to use MMF patch cords while patching up SX SFP modules coz we had tough time trying them with SMF patch cords..

regds

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SFP just means "small form pluggable" which is basically a smaller formed gbic . You would just use the LX version . These just plug into the ports like the older style gbics , they are just quite a bit smaller and they will obviously take different patch cables to connect to them .

Hi

From my personal exp we do have 2950s installed with LX GBICs patched up with 3750S SFP which is again LX version.

We did try patching them up with both SMF and MMF patch cords in which both of them brought the link up.

The point to be checked out here is one of the sides will be having SC connector (3550)the other side will be of LC connector (3750)..

But do remember to use MMF patch cords while patching up SX SFP modules coz we had tough time trying them with SMF patch cords..

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: