Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help in my university campus network design

HI there
I am working on studying the current campus network design of my university and I have to enhance the current design as it is a part of my industrial training course...
So ,
It was partitioned into five Areas described as follow:
 Area one consist of Engineering College(Electricity building, civil building, lecture hall, workshops and deanship building) and Students Affairs Prosecution.
 Area two consists of Computer Center, Library Center and University Presidency.
 Area three consists of Science College and Service Center.
 Area four consists of Education College and Tofiq Hall.
 Area five consists of Low College, Administrative Science Collage, 22 May hall and Female Student Housing.
picture of areas and its buildings and you can identify them by the code AxBy where is refer to Area number and B to the building number.
for example
Area one:
  1. Students Affaires Prosecution building: It is a middle size building. It consists of one distributed cisco switch (CS-3750) and five access switches (CS-2960).
  2. Electrical building: It is a large size building. It consists of two equipment rooms, one as Main Equipment Room (MER) and the other as Secondary Equipment Room (SER). They connected with each other via fiber optic, one of this rooms consist of a distributed cisco switch (CS-3750) and eleven access switches (CS-2960).
  3. Civil building: It is also a large size building. It consists of two equipment rooms, one as Main Equipment Room (MER) and the other as Secondary Equipment Room (SER). They connected with each other via fiber optic, one of this rooms consist of a distributed cisco switch (CS-3750) and eleven access switches (CS-2960).
  4. Deanship building: It is a small building. It consists of three distributed switches (CS-3750) but working as access, they are connected in a stackwise technology to provide speed.
  5. Workshops: there are three workshops; each workshop has one distributed switch (CS-3750).
  6. Hall building: it is a small building which has one distributed switch (CS-3750).
>>>>>>
so , as you can see in area one all buildings are belong to engineering collage
my first question
Is it a good choice to separate a distribution layer switch for ever building ?
why not to have one distribution layer that links all buildings in area 1?
my second question
is it OK to have staking tech in Deanship building as an access layer and consider core switch work as distribution layer for this building ?
wish you have a time to help me in finding an overall good enhancements^^
current design is attached
7 Replies 7

kapydan88
Level 4
Level 4

Hello.

Is it a good choice to separate a distribution layer switch for ever building ? - Yes, you can do this.

why not to have one distribution layer that links all buildings in area 1? - In your particular case, it is preferable to use separate  distribution switch if more than 4-5 access switches are connected to it.

is it OK to have staking tech in Deanship building as an access layer and consider core switch work as distribution layer for this building ? - Yes, why not? But in this case, you need to consider how it will be connected to the upstream distribution switch.

Did you read cisco design guides?

I’m designing and configuring a DMZ network and I want to configure a radius-based authentication for all users on their respective VLANs so that they can access there related file servers when authenticated.
Any idea of How do I go about this as I cannot find any information online???

kapydan88
Level 4
Level 4

Can you describe more exactly your question? And try to draw a diagram of you DMZ and services.

This is my network design and left side red colour area is the dmz zone, the aaa server is connected to dmz router. I have configured an aaa radius within an dmz router which aaa is connected to but there problem is i want to apply radius-based authentication on their VLANs user , i want individual vlans to have an username and password for instance if there are 10 vlans i want 10 username and 10 passwords, but I’m not sure how to apply radius-based authentication for vlans? Any idea?

thanks for replaying

do you mean that  i should add a distribution switch for deanship building> ,because now in current design  the staking switches are linked to core switch directly . no distribution layer is there 

Sorry but I didn’t quite understood what you’re just said, basically i want to configure radius based authentication on valn’s for instance i work from home but i am a finance user, should i be able to have access on the finance server ? If yes how do I connect?

The idea is to create as many login details as your VLANs are… instead of one login per user. In other words, you will have 10 username and passwords instead of 300+.
Each VLAN will have its own set of credentials.

kapydan88
Level 4
Level 4

"do you mean that  i should add a distribution switch for deanship building> ,because now in current design  the staking switches are linked to core switch directly . no distribution layer is there" - yes, you can add distribution switch. i think, it depends only from your budget and tfaffic.

Where is configured intervlan routing?