cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I rename my Cisco 1812 Router's port name from "FastEthernet 0" to "FastEthernet 0/0"

m.rana.ku
Level 1
Level 1

If I type

Router1#sh ip int briefCmd_ShIPintBrief.JPG

it shows the interface name like

FastEthernet 0

FastEthernet 1

and so on...

and when I enter global configuration mode and type

#int FastEthernet 0/0, or Fa0/0

it shows error like below

Router1(config)#interface fastEthernet 0/0
                                                             ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

it does not accept "/" in the name in the FastEthernet port

But, if I write like below

#int FastEthernet 0   then its ok.

So, my concern is how I can rename my router's FastEthernet port's interface name from fastEthernet 0 to fastEthernet 0/0 and fastEthernet 1 to fastEthernet 0/1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You cannot rename the interface names.

Since the 1812 is a fixed port router, it has no concept of 'slots' (additional interface cards, ie WICS) so it has no need to use the naming convention x/x , ie <slot>/<interface>

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You cannot rename the interface names.

Since the 1812 is a fixed port router, it has no concept of 'slots' (additional interface cards, ie WICS) so it has no need to use the naming convention x/x , ie <slot>/<interface>

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Mr Seb,

Thanks a lot for your reply...

LanDownUnda
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi m.rana.ku,

Thanks for your question! The interface names are actually part of the Hardware of the Router and as such is a pre-configured name that you cannot change. You will notice that different Routers will have different naming conventions depending on the size of the interface (Ethernet, FastEthernet, GigabitEthernet) and how many of that interface is available.

You may not be aware but you can change the description of the interface. Here is an example!

!

config t

Interface FastEthernet 0

description this_is_my_description

!

You can then use a command like "show interface description" to see the different descriptions you have configured.

I hope this helps!

*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: