cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you reset VTP to default on 3550

pallette
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3550 that I need to reset all VTP/VLAN Database back to default. Is there a global command that can be used to do this without deleting all configured vlans, and also set vtp domain back to NULL instead of having a domain configured?

5 Replies 5

DWAM_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hello!

hmmm

delete vlan.dat

reload the switch

but you will deleting all existing vlans in you vlan database...

Regards.

m.iancu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

take the switch out of the network.

dir flash:

del flash:vlan.dat

reload

after rebooting make sure you have what you need under sh vtp status - check your revision number.

put back the switch and it will learn again the vlans.

hope it helps,

mihai

ps: be very, very carefull and check the revision no - if you have a number greater that the current no of your vlan database ... everything will be gone from your network ... this is why make sure you have the switch out of the network

Hi,

I've noticed on my Cat2924XL (but I think it might be the same on 3550 - they are both IOS-based) there is also necessary to clear the static port-to-VLAN assignments (i.e. switchport access vlan 1 in all interfaces which have been assigned to other VLANs).

If you omit this step and just delete vlan.dat, the switch moves to VTP domain UPGRADE and the VLANs mentioned in the config are present in the new vlan.dat file after the switch reload.

It's also good to check:

sh vtp status

sh vlan

after the reload.

Regards,

Milan

Hi,

If you want to make the VTP domain status as default, the switch always is in server mode.Change the vtp domain to transparent and then back to Client so that the revision number becomes zero to avoid any Vlan issues in the network.

To clear the Vlans which were learned as VTP client.

delete vlan.dat

and then reboot the switch.

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The following page should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/156.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card