Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP For the Gateway Redundancy.

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

i just need a simple how to configure 2 Routers(R1;R2) to run HSRP For the Gateway Redundancy ,if one of the 2 routers Fail.should i connect the 2 routers 2gather via cross cable.than one straight cable to the 2 separate distribution switch.(2 Etherchanel configured between Dist switch)PS LIST ur optimum Configuration

Ur help very much Appreciated

14 Replies 14

kamlesh.sharma
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

i think you talking about campus network where you have two distribution two access and two core router's.

With that prospects.

My suggesion will be to have etherchannel between distribution switches and both the distribution switch should be connected to both the core router.

than use HSRP in distribution swithes.

configuration and diagram is given below.

do let us know if you want any more information.

interface FastEthernet2

ip address 172.69.90.1 255.255.255.0

standby priority 200

standby preempt

standby ip 172.69.90.6

!

interface FastEthernet3

ip address 172.69.91.1 255.255.255.0

standby priority 200

standby preempt

standby ip 172.69.91.6

like the above configuration you can configure second switch also you can apply on vlan interface too.

HTH

kamlesh.sharma
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

i think you talking about campus network where you have two distribution two access and two core router's.

With that prospects.

My suggesion will be to have etherchannel between distribution switches and both the distribution switch should be connected to both the core router.

than use HSRP in distribution swithes.

configuration and diagram is given below.

do let us know if you want any more information.

interface FastEthernet2

ip address 172.69.90.1 255.255.255.0

standby priority 200

standby preempt

standby ip 172.69.90.6

!

interface FastEthernet3

ip address 172.69.91.1 255.255.255.0

standby priority 200

standby preempt

standby ip 172.69.91.6

like the above configuration you can configure second switch also you can apply on vlan interface too.

HTH

Hi

10xs for ur reply.u did the above configuration on the routers or Switches?

10xs

It's not a real configuration it is just a sample configuration which can tell you the minimum configuration on for hsrp.

I hope you got your answer

Thanks

please rate

10xs kamlesh.sharma for ur reply!

but u didn't get me so far.i mean.i'll config the hsrp on the router or the Distribution switch.

10xs kamlesh

Hi Ali,

You can configure HSRP on your Distribution switch as well as on Router also.

It all depends on your network topology and design. If you are using your distribution switch for your routing between vlans you can configure HSRP on dist switch.

But if your routing is been done on routers you can configure HSRP on routers as well. But looking as your network setup I will say configure HSRP on routers and connect your 2 routers to the distribution switch using a straight cable. Now any of the router goes down HSRP will take care for your gateway balancing.

But you need to be sure that your gateway for clients machines is on router or on distribution switch. If your clients gateway is on router go ahead with HSRP on routers.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

10xs Ankur!

Hi Ankur

if i need to configure HSRP on the 2 routers;and i connected it to the distribution Switchs.i just need to do routing between Vlans;do i need to creat subinterface on the router and encapsulate the SibInt in ISL encap,this right or u have another choice.

10xs Ankur

Hi Ali,

Yes you have to configure subinterfaces on your router and I will advice you to configure dot1q instead of isl.

Also make sure you configure trunk on the distribution switchport which is connected to the router.

Have a look at this link to configure intervlan routing using sub interfaces on router with configuration and topology

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/50.shtml#801.1Q

HTH, if yes please rate all post.

Ankur

Hi ankur

This link required special permission to opening.

10xs

Hi Ali,

Take this link as it is a general public link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

10xs for ur reply.

Ankur this the first time that i;ll implement i FiberOptic in the Network between switchs & Routers.my experience a little about this Isuue.can u give a great usefull link about this Implentation,i have to know about 1G 275 m sx;1 G 550m Lx & so on.

Ankur;ur help very much appreciated.

Ali

Hi

Thank U Very much; ur help very much Appreciated

Ali