cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP issue

chrish
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 6509's with dual sup 720's in each participating in a standby group (several actually-1 per vlan)When failing over the sup engine in the active router the HSRP apparently switches active routers. However approximately 1/2 the time the active router reverts to the original although there is no preempt configured. I can do a sh standby on the standby router and it shows a state change but it is still the standby. The other half of the time it becomes the active router, passes all traffic apparently but I cannot ping or telnet the virtual IP from anywhere except from itself. I am confused. Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

paupot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Are you using (m)hsrp or glbp?

I would (pls be aware of the impact) debug standby error or debug standby event to see what the reported cause is. Does logging indicate a possible hardware failure? Are you using a dynamic routing protocol? Does you routing protocol converge which causes this problem?

Can you share a sh standby brief?

hth

paul

I will try to share upload the standby brief. I should have mentioned i did debug on errors and events, if I can do the test again I will put up the debug events also. Basically on the errors debug there was none.On the events although I didn't follow everything I am pretty certain it all looked good. I am running OSPF but it is basically a 1 router (with hsrp redundancy). I am not sure what is (m)hsrp or glbp, but to explain I configured using the default "standby priority" and defined the virtual ip address. I probably won't be able to get the configs probably until tomorrow but I would appreciate if you check back.

Thanks

Hi,

mhsrp is multi-group hsrp. Normally, using hsrp on 2 routers, (a) is active and (b) is standby for a single hsrp group. If you create an extra group, (b) can be made active and (a) standby. You will have 2 gateway addresses then. gateway load balancing protocol (glbp) is the newer alternative for mhsrp.

sh standby internal can give a good explanation too. If you run hsrp with the same group number on different routers, but in the same subnet, they might complain about eachother.

hth

paul

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card