cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

hsrp

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Can anyone tell me how to set up hsrp on my 2 routers, I have one with a dsl and the other with isdn, I want to track on the dsl port and if that goes down use the isdn ? can anyone show me a config ?

6 Replies 6

ananddiwakar
Level 1
Level 1

Hie Carl,

Just check the below link to understand configuration options for HSRP. You will get idea about the configs you need to do.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008042fbb3.html

The same link also explains how to confugre tracking in HSRP. Just to clarify

Suppose R1 int atm 0/0 is DSL interface and R2 int bri0/0 is ISDN interface.

On dsl router configure tracking for int atm 0/0

track 100 interface atm 0/0 line-protocol

In HSRP configs on dsl the routers we need to configure

standby 1 ip XXXX

standby 1 priority 120

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 track 100 decrement 20

On ISDN router configure

standby 1 ip XXXX

standby 1 priority 110

standby 1 preempt

With these lines we are telling DSL router to track state of atm interface and if it fails decrement priority value by 20 so that it will become 100. Now the ISDN router will have priority 110 which is higher. We have also told this router to preempt so it will become primary router and will start forwarding.

Once DSL comes up, the priority of DSL router will again be 120 and since it is also configured to preempt, it will become primary. You can further configure tracking parameters to prevent flapping of active router in case DSL is flapping

Hi there

why do we have to use track 100 ? what is the 100 for ?

100 is just an object, You are specifying what interface you want to track and then you are assigning an action for that object if something should change. In this case for object 100 which is your interface, if it should go down the priority of that interface will decrement by 20 forcing the other router to become the primary.

so could we use any number for that ? i am still unsure why you put a number ? can u give me example ?

Yes you can use any number between 1 - 500. That is what cisco allows. It serves as a reference point for the standby (hsrp) command.

If you have two interfaces for example you want to set up hsrp for (if they belong to different networks) it would look something like this

track 1 interface atm 0/0 line-protocol

track 2 interface atm 1/1 line-protocol

under interface atm 0/0 it should be

standby 1 ip x.x.x.x

standby 1 priority 120

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 track 1 decrement 20

under interface atm 1/1 it should be

standby 1 ip x.x.x.x

standby 1 priority 120

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 track 2 decrement 20

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008042fbb3.html

Read the section CONFIGURING HSRP OBJECT TRACKING to better understand. Hopefully this will help you.

carl...

here you just need to make sure that priority on both the router must not be equal...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: