cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSSI / Serial T3/E3 question

mark.edwards
Level 1
Level 1

I have a requirement to use T3/E3 speed interface cards. NM-1T3/E3 or NM-1HSSI would both appear to be appropriate. HSSI cards are cheaper, but I was wondering if there are any downsides to using HSSI ? Which would be the best choice ?

3 Replies 3

mark-obrien
Level 4
Level 4

You may need an external CSU/DSU-like device to convert the T3/E3 interface delivered by the carrier to the HSSI interface. Or, the carrier may deliver your service on a HSSI interface. Check with your carrier to find out what type of interface will be brought to your demarcation point.

Good Luck.

Mark

Mark, sorry perhaps I was not clear with my question. From a design perspective, what are the differences between HSSI & T3/E3 cards. They are both valid options, but the HSSI cards are quite a bit cheaper. So, should I always use a HSSI card if possible ?

I believe the primary difference is that the HSSI requires an external CSU/DSU and the T3/E3 has one integrated. The T3/E3 may also have more advanced subrate functionality, but the exact differences aren't clear to me. You may want to talk to an account rep for more details.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card