Views
Helpful
Replies

implementation of MPLS

nive131
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I want to know the different routers which are being used to implement MPLS and how MPLS has been implemented in Cisco's routers.

thanks,

Niveditha

10 Replies 10

srittenberg
Level 1
Level 1

your question is too broad. it's hard to answer because it all depends on what do you try to do, implementing the MPLS for what? Many Cisco routers support MPLS if they have the IOS versin that supports it. You may want to go to the Cisco site and check on the MPLS config. It depends on what your requirements are. MPLS can be used on WAN running different routing protocols (eigrp; ospf; bgp..), and it can also configured for use with VPN. Again, you need to be more specific.

I am actually doing a project in my university on MPLS.In my project I have to find out the commercial routers which are used to deploy MPLS and compare their implementations like what different components each are using to deploy MPLS.

MPLS is relatively new. We just started the test implementation. The Cisco router that supports MPLS are 3640 and above with the IOS that supports it. your best bet is to read about it from the Cisco press book on MPLS. It's a very good book, and it details very good on the config. It's impossible to answer the questions where is no specific qusetions are given.

good luck on your project.

Actually, I have to disagree on your assessment on that book. It's OK, it's not great, because it gives you a supremely biased view of MPLS , and in particular, if it's the only book you read, you will get a very warped and Cisco-centric view of how MPLS really works.

The best "books" I have ever seen on MPLS are the course-training materials from, uh, a certain vendor that starts with the letter 'J'.

yes, that's the only book I read about the MPLS besides what's on the Cisco site. if you remember the name of the other book, please let me know. thx

I'll give you a big hint. That vendor makes the best core backbone routers in the world.

Got it. Thanks. We are a 100% Cisco shop. But it's always good to see what others are doing on the same technology.

Even if you're never going to use other vendor's gear, it's still very useful to check in on their manuals, their white papers, and their other literature from time to time. You don't have to get bogged down in the minutiea of their syntax, but rather it's good to just get a general overview of how they choose to implement various technologies. I believe that the only way to truly understand any networking technology - BGP, OSPF, ISIS, MPLS, spanning-tree, whatever - is to understand how at least 2 vendors implement it. Each vendor has its own particular spin on things, so if you see how several vendors do something, you can see what is the actual industry-standard and what are the vendor-specific features.

You have to be carefull when you say MPLS.

MPLS includes the label switching code, MPLS/VPN, MPLS/TE and now EoMPLS or ATOM.

Label switching on Cisco devices is done as described in the LDP RFC/Draft.

We also have our own standard that is very similar called TDP.

Devices doing MPLS (label switching) are 3600 series, 7500, 7200, 7600, GSR, Ls1010.

I believe the Cat6500/MSFC can also do it now.

Check the following url for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/Tech/mpls/index.shtml

I want to know the different components like the software and the user API's which are required to deploy a basic MPLS system.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card