cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inquiry Regarding Network Upgrade Plan for 4-Floor Building

techkings003
Beginner
Beginner

I am reaching out to inquire about our network upgrade plan for the 4-floor building. The initial phase involves upgrading our core switches from WS-C3560G-48PS to C9500-24X-A (16-port 10G, 8-port 10G) due to budget constraints. Initially, we are focusing on upgrading the core switches, with the access switches upgrade planned for approximately one year later.

During this transition, we intend to continue utilizing the existing 1 GB fiber connections from the core switches to the access switches.

Specifically, my inquiries are as follows:

1. Do all ports (16-port 10G, 8-port 10G) require transceivers?

2. If affirmative, could you provide information on the model and brand of transceivers that are backward compatible with both 10 GB and 1 GB? The backward compatibility is crucial as we will maintain the 1 GB connections for the access switches. Additionally, once we upgrade to C9300 for our access switches, we plan to acquire a network module for C9300 to facilitate the transition to 10 GB connections from the core switches to the access switches.

3. If we decide to purchase a network module for the same C9500-24X-A for additional 10 GB fiber ports, what specific module should we acquire?

Your prompt response and guidance on these matters are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @techkings003 

1. C9500-24x  is actually C9500-16X+ 8x10G module. this needs transceivers and it supports 1G or 10G transceivers. 

Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches Data Sheet - Cisco

2. you need different transceivers for different speeds. in this case initially you can use 1G transceiver and change that to 10G transceivers on second step. 

3. you cannot add another module for this model. it already fixed with 8x10G module.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

@techkings003 thanks for that result. you can try speed negotiation. but that is not recommended to mix different speed Optics in same line. since you have tight budget you can try this. but make sure you do testing phase before implementation. 

Good luck
KB

@techkings003 hi yes. this model only have SFP ports. if you need copper connections, you can use coper transceiver. 

Good luck
KB

16 Replies 16

Hi @techkings003 

1. C9500-24x  is actually C9500-16X+ 8x10G module. this needs transceivers and it supports 1G or 10G transceivers. 

Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches Data Sheet - Cisco

2. you need different transceivers for different speeds. in this case initially you can use 1G transceiver and change that to 10G transceivers on second step. 

3. you cannot add another module for this model. it already fixed with 8x10G module.

Good luck
KB

2. you need different transceivers for different speeds. in this case initially you can use 1G transceiver and change that to 10G transceivers on second step. ------- Can we use 10GB transceivers for all ports on the C9500-24X-A? Will they automatically function at 1GB since the other side, which consists of Access switches WS-C2960X, uses 1GB SFP transceivers? Our budget constraints prevent us from upgrading the Access switches to the C9300 network module with 10GB transceivers until the second phase of our network upgrade, scheduled for a year later.

@techkings003 thats not works, both sided need to be same speed transceivers. 

Good luck
KB

I really appreciate your prompt response to my question regarding the use of 10GB transceivers on all ports of the C9500-24X-A switch. Your insight is invaluable, and I still wanted to seek an opinion on a related matter.

A friend of mine shared an alternative perspective, suggesting that it might be possible to use 10GB transceivers on the C9500 switch and have them automatically negotiate to a lower speed, such as 1 Gigabit, when connected to devices equipped with 1GB SFP transceivers. According to my friend, this is achieved through a feature known as speed auto-negotiation, which is a standard capability for most Ethernet interfaces.

Given your expertise, I wanted to gather your thoughts on the feasibility of this approach. Do you believe that my friend's explanation holds merit, and could we potentially rely on the speed auto-negotiation feature to operate at 1 Gigabit with the existing 1GB SFP transceivers on the Access switches (WS-C2960X)?

Our budget constraints currently limit us from upgrading the Access switches to the C9300 network module with 10GB transceivers until the second phase of our network upgrade, scheduled for a year later. Therefore, any insights you could provide on the compatibility of the proposed configuration would be immensely helpful. 

I understand that this information might be repetitive for others, but please bear with my confusion, as I am relatively new to this implementation.

Thank you for your time and expertise. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.

@techkings003 thanks for that result. you can try speed negotiation. but that is not recommended to mix different speed Optics in same line. since you have tight budget you can try this. but make sure you do testing phase before implementation. 

Good luck
KB

Furthermore, can you verify whether the C9500-24x-A is exclusively fiber and does not support copper connections?

@techkings003 hi yes. this model only have SFP ports. if you need copper connections, you can use coper transceiver. 

Good luck
KB

"if you need copper connections, you can use coper transceiver."

BTW, as I mentioned earlier, you should confirm any desired copper transceiver is supported.

I recall (?) a posting where someone had the specific issue that Cisco copper transceivers weren't supported on a recent platform.  A very unpleasant surprise for that poster.  I also recall (?) 3rd party non-Cisco copper transceivers were found to work.

@Leo Laohoo do you recall that posting too?  Or, any comments on copper transceiver support in 9Ks?

@Joseph W. Doherty wrote:
I recall (?) a posting where someone had the specific issue that Cisco copper transceivers weren't supported on a recent platform.  A very unpleasant surprise for that poster.  I also recall (?) 3rd party non-Cisco copper transceivers were found to work.

This is a well-known "feature" with Cisco 9k switches and Cisco-branded transceivers.  

This is why a 3rd party optics is a popular option for several reasons:  

1.  3rd party optics do not have the inherit bugs Cisco-branded optics have.  Cisco-branded optics can invoke certain "behaviours", like ports not working, in certain versions.

2.  3rd party optics fool the switches what they are so they will work in every firmware.  For example, 11 months BEFORE Cisco started supporting SFP-10G-T, people used 3rd party optics on the 9500.  And this is accomplished by identifying to the switch that the SFP-10G-T, for example, is a GLC-SX-MMD.

3.  Finally, 3rd party optics is not software dependent while Cisco-branded optics require a minimum software version for support.

"A friend of mine shared an alternative perspective, suggesting that it might be possible to use 10GB transceivers on the C9500 switch and have them automatically negotiate to a lower speed, such as 1 Gigabit, when connected to devices equipped with 1GB SFP transceivers. According to my friend, this is achieved through a feature known as speed auto-negotiation, which is a standard capability for most Ethernet interfaces."

To my knowledge, and as already mentioned by @Kasun Bandara, nope (for optical transceivers)!

Further, although @Kasun Bandara also suggested you might try this, I'm not positive you won't risk damaging optical transceivers.

What your friend might have confused is multi-speed RJ45 copper Ethernet ports and transceiver ports that will support different speed transceivers, such as a SPF+ port which will support either a gig or 10g transceiver, but the optical transceivers, themselves, are not multi-speed.

BTW have you analyzed data traffic on your edge uplinks?  For a single 48 gig port edge switch, you'll often see almost NO benefit to migrating to 10g.  Personally, if you've not already done so, I would avoid single uplinks, as that creates a single point of failure. Ideally, dual uplinks can be used concurrently.

Also BTW, is your fiber plant SM?  If MM, you might run into fiber length issues with 10g not seen with gig.

Thanks for the valuable input.

Also BTW, is your fiber plant SM? If MM, you might run into fiber length issues with 10g not seen with gig. ----------- We plan to utilize Multi-Mode within the same building using loose cables with 6 cores. Each floor is equipped with 4 stacked switches, so we anticipate having 2 fiber connections, forming an EtherChannel connected to the first and fourth switches.

------- Furthermore, can you verify whether the C9500-24x-A is exclusively fiber and does not support copper connections?

"Furthermore, can you verify whether the C9500-24x-A is exclusively fiber and does not support copper connections?"

It might support copper via SFP transceivers.  (E.g. SFP-10G-T-X [100/g/10g])  Such support would depend on Cisco so documenting (sometimes adding transceivers are supported in later IOS versions).

BTW, 4 stacked gig (48?) port edge switches may, or may not, see much benefit using 10g uplinks.  Much depends on uplink/downlink traffic load (and possibly whether QoS is being used).  Don't be surprised if you don't see any major network performance improvements after replacing your 3560Gs.

Right now, people on the first floor or other floors are often sending or receiving files from our on-premises server simultaneously. Unfortunately, our current 2-gig fiber connection can't always handle this load. When it gets overwhelmed, it causes delays in connecting to the server, making it hard for people to access what they need.

We're planning to increase the connection speed from the switch to switch where the server rack to 10 gigabytes. This should help handle the file transfers more efficiently and prevent the connectivity issues we've been experiencing.

In that case 10g might help.

BTW, though, switches like the 3560s often exhibit high throughput performance issues not from lack of bandwidth but from lack of buffer resources.  Further, lack of buffers is also further compounded by default buffer configuration, especially if QoS is enabled (also BTW, the latter issue still arises on 9k switches).

How might you know if buffers are a possible issue?  Are switch ports showing drops?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: