cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upgrade on 2500

spalislam
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to remotely upload the new .bin image to 2500 without bringing the network down?

What I want to do is to upload the image and set the boot variables during normal hours and then have NOC people just restart the router at 3 a.m. Sunday morning. However, when I tried to upload the file this is what I get:

DV-R1#copy tftp flash

**** NOTICE ****

Flash load helper v1.0

This process will accept the copy options and then terminate

the current system image to use the ROM based image for the copy.

Routing functionality will not be available during that time.

If you are logged in via telnet, this connection will terminate.

Users with console access can see the results of the copy operation.

---- ******** ----

Proceed? [confirm]n

%Copy cancelled by user request.

DV-R1#

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

sp

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The reason why you are not able to copy a new image in flash is that the 2500 runs the image directly from flash. Therefore while the IOS is running, the flash is in read-only mode. The only way around that is to boot the router directly from a tftp server but this is certainly not something that I would do unattended.

Hope this help,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

You could configure the router to boot from a tftp server but what I meant is that it is not as safe as if you had already copied the image in flash. You never know what might happened to you tftp transfer especially if it takes place over the WAN ;o)

hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The reason why you are not able to copy a new image in flash is that the 2500 runs the image directly from flash. Therefore while the IOS is running, the flash is in read-only mode. The only way around that is to boot the router directly from a tftp server but this is certainly not something that I would do unattended.

Hope this help,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

So basicly, there no way for me to do unattended IOS upgrade on 2500.

Well, thankx for the info.

You could configure the router to boot from a tftp server but what I meant is that it is not as safe as if you had already copied the image in flash. You never know what might happened to you tftp transfer especially if it takes place over the WAN ;o)

hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

"Unattended upgrade" (almost)

There is another method, but it requires some extra effort. (And trusting the NOC people)

Using another 2500, copy the desired image into Flash.

Pull the flash chip(s) and drop into labelled antistatic bags.

At the prescribed time (Day X, time 3am), power off the router and swap out the flash.

If there are any problems, the original flash can be swapped back.

The issue is that in a lot of scenarios (I don't know if it is the case here) the 2500 is in an unmanned locations or locations with people having very little technical knowledge (sales offices for instance), making it difficult if the upgrade requires any human intervention whatsoever.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thank you guys.

You are absolutely right. It is in no man's land and I'll have to drive overthere in the middle of the night. Oh well, that's what comes with limited budget and resources.

Thanks again.

sp

I did a few times successfully. I remotely upgrade a 2500 series routers. In your case, you may VPN to your network and ten telnet to the routerA and continue with the upgrade. But there are a few extra steps/tricks. Once the new image is loaded from your tftp server, it will reboot using the very basic function, ie dynamic routing will no longer function. Then you need to telnet to the routerB directly on the next hop and from there telnet to the routerA and add back the dynamic routing commands, such as ospf or eigrp etc. ONce you put back the dynamic routing commands you will reload the routerA. Hope I am not not confusing you. If you need further suggestion, email me directly.