Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 and EIGRP

s.conway
Level 1
Level 1

Was studying for CCNP exam 642-801 and read this about IPv6;

"The IP routing protocols that support IPv6 are RIPng, OSPF, IS-IS, and BGP-4, as of Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2T and later."

I know that IPv6 is not widely used yet. What happens to those using EIGRP?

This link only mentions implementing IPv6 with the above protocols

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801d65ed.html

6 Replies 6

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EIGRP does not currently supported. I have heard some rumblings about EIGRP support for IPv6. I'm not quite sure where it stands at the moment.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

It's been coded, and is currently being passed through development test, so you should expect to see EIGRP/IPv6 in the near future, probably within 6 months, in the 12.3T train.

:-)

Russ.W

I am also quite interested in this and found this document http://www.cisco.com/application/vnd.ms-powerpoint/en/us/guest/tech/tk207/c1482/cdccont_0900aecd801e4aab.ppt from Networkers 2004 when looking for some more info.

Apparently EIGRP IPv6 will run EIGRP over an IPv6 multicast address initially and additional TLVs to the EIGRP packets are to carry IPv6 addresses. Later on, all configuration would be under the EIGRP process where interfaces will be grouped by range rather than network statements. IPv4 configuration will follow the IPv6 configuration style.

This was in 2004 and I am not sure about the timeframes. Russ, do you know if this is what is happening, or have some changes been made?

Josef.

In the long term, EIGRP will be able to use any transport with any TLV set.... We aren't starting that way, just because, well, it's too much to chew at once. :-) There are some other projects going on behind the scenes that will make the ultimate goal more "doable" over the next couple of years...

Russ.W

Sorry, I didn't answer your other question, on the configuration style.... This has been something we've bantered around for a long while, both doing something to replace the network statements in all of EIGRP, or possibly riding on some sort of interface grouping mechanism, and putting the EIGRP configs there. I think we'll end up with the ability to do interface ranges under the EIGRP config, as the document you pointed to states, but it's not been coded yet, as far as I know.

Right now, the EIGRP/IPv6 code I've played with usese the OSPFv3/IS-IS style of interface configuration, so it's under the interface configuration mode, rather than the router eigrp mode....

MTR makes this much more interesting, and I think that's where we'll end up seeing the concept of interface ranges under the router configuration mode pulled in. I'm not certain of this, but it certainly seems that way, when I look at the direction we're going with these things. If you'd like me to poke around some, and get something more definite, shoot me an email, and I'll see what I can dig up.

Russ.W

Thanks for all the info. I was just curious because of something I read about not supporting EIGRP.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: