cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is CCNP security a valuble skill to have when i work mostly network?

DaciscoKING
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, DaKing here

Wondering if i should choos CCNP Core or CCNP security and I was wondering if anyone have some insight on this.

I mainly work with networking and not that much with secuirty so the CCNP Core is very logical for me to choose.

However i'm interested in security. Therefore i was woundering if anyone has some insight for me on this topic.

Kind regards

KING

6 Replies 6

If general networking is your main area of work, going towards the CCNP Enterprise would be a logical and useful step. But if you are interested in Cisco Security, studying for the SCOR exam will give you lots of additional insight. But I would recommend to do it in this mentioned order.

Thank you, 

What is the best plateform to study for the CCNP enterprise in your opinion?

I used some free apps on android market to study for the CCNA.

As the best I would consider an official training with a learning partner because you can ask questions. More cost-efficient is the Official Learning Guide from Cisco Press: https://www.ciscopress.com/store/ccnp-enterprise-core-encor-350-401-and-advanced-routing-9781587147111

And also follow the study notes on the Cisco Learning Network: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I understood @Karsten Iwen first reply, get both might be the best approach.

If you only can or desire just one, that's a hard call because it depends on the direction you want your career to follow and "insight" of your employer.

If your employer isn't insightful, having a particular certificate is just a item on their checklist for a specific position, i.e. a resume filter.

For an employer with insight a certificate can be used to provide insight about you, the person.  For example, if you get just an Enterprise CCNP, that's good, but just shows your much like every one else.  However, if you acquire a security CCNP, and that's NOT your job history, it demonstrates both your sincere interest and willingness to learn.

If you were only to obtain one CCNP, I would suggest going for the security variant. Ideally, you job history shows your experience networking, and a CCNP in anything provides a certain knowledge level in networking, and in this case, a security variant shows knowledge in an area outside of your job history.

Perhaps an interesting story of an insightful employer.

Early in my career I applied to a company, who the manager that hired me, and I worked for, later told me when he read my resume he thought this person was very bad or very good.

I asked why, and he said because at the several years you worked at your prior employer, your job role significantly changed every 3 to 6 months.  So, either they were trying to find something you could do, or they were trying to figure out how to best use you.

I asked, how did you decide which it was?  Oh, that was simple, I spoke with your earlier employers, and they wanted you back.  (Note, however, this company didn't have a HR department to filter candidates.)

@Joseph W. Doherty It is partly was I meant, but as a mid/long-term goal. But when coming from a CCNA level and working in the area of general networking I would not directly switch to Security although it might be the area of interest. Deepen the knowledge in the area of actual work gives a better foundation and later it will be easier to switch. Or if there is a direct opportunity to move into security, then I would perhaps directly study for SCOR. But I would not study for the Security area without any option to really apply this new knowledge.

@Karsten Iwen to be clear, my recommendation for the security CCNP was only if you were to obtain just one CCNP.  I fully agree on path of study and obtaining both CCNPs, if willing and possible.

Again, any CCNP implies, a certain level of knowledge.  But, IMO, a single CCNP, not in your job experience may open a door to a position outside your prior job experience.

If you want to remain in the same job role, for a single CCNP, I would suggest it align to your job role.