Helpful
Replies

Jumbo Frames?

Armegeden
Level 1
Level 1

Oops, Accidentally posted this under Wireless:

Hello's...

Could anyone give me a synopsis of the pro's and con's of Jumbo Frames? What does it do? Just bump up the MTU to 9000 instead of 1500? Do most devices support this now?

As for home networks, I use Linksys gear... Do any Linksys products support Jumbo Frames?

Thanks for any info

2 Replies 2

kamlesh.sharma
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

I think there are tons of information in cisco website

Please visit them.

Thanks

felipe_alfaro
Level 1
Level 1

Jumbo frames can increase throughput for network-intensive operations, like network backups and file-sharing.

NetGear hardware is mostly low or middle-end, so it mostly doesn't support Jumbo frames. Gosh! Even my Catalyst 2950 doesn't support them. Anyways, concrete product models would help in determining whether Jumbo frames are supported.

Also, the network card, operating system and drivers should support Jumbo frames. Linux has native support for Jumbo frames, but not all NICs do support them. Most Gigabit NICs do support Jumbo frames, like RTL8169-based ones, Intel PRO/1000 and 3Com.

If all requirements are met, increasing the MTU to 9000 at the switch and the NIC should suffice for using Jumbo frames.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: