Views
Helpful
Replies

kill runaway VTY session?

spyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I had a vty session to my router and ran a "trace" command. I couldnt get the normal ESC character to kill the trace process. I thought it was Ctrl-C, but that didnt work so I tried Ctrl -D, Ctrl-Z with no luck. I tried a Ctrl-] and it killed the telnet session, which I wasnt expecting.

So know I am not sure what happens. As there is still a trace process running I assume IOS consideres there is "activity" on that VTY session so the VTY session timeout not kick in? Is this true?

Is there any way of killing that vty session if it is still running?

Or does IOS only consider user input as "activity" therefore the vty session will timeout?

TIA

Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

u can kill the session by issuing clear line vty (vty number) command from the prompt.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

u can kill the session by issuing clear line vty (vty number) command from the prompt.

Great, thanks alot.

Simon

walter baziuk
Level 5
Level 5

cool

this cmd still works after 12 years from this post!!

and still works in 2021 , Kudos!!

Not on a 4321 terminal server connected to a 9200L  - Not allowed to clear current line

Hello,

not sure if this is in any way relevant to you, but there used to be the command:

show tcp tcb

which would show you all current connections. You could then clear individual lines using the 'clear tcb' followed by the number...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: