cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing between 2 ISP's

lpnewman1
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently in the process of trying to determine the best way to load-balance internet traffic between 2 ISP links (300mg each) that we are going to Peer with via BGP.  Our plan is to receive all routes from both providers and then load balance between them (if possible) 

My question is if we only take in partial routes from both ISP's and a defualt route from both, then redistribute into OSPF on the my FW, will OSPF load-balance between the ISP's when the default route is used? I'm thinking that it will, but i'm not sure if there is any configuration needed to tell it to do this.  I would prefer NOT to take in the whole routing table from the ISP's and use the default routes they are advertising.

Any help would be appreciated !!

Thanks !

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I would consider the "best" way to balance egress traffic would be using PfR, this assuming your equipment supports it.

From what you describe, 2nd best (for a single edge device) would be to direct all traffic to it (single default route to it) and allow it to use BGP ECMP.  The latter requires BGP routing be configured to support two paths, maximum-paths 2, and usage of the hidden command bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: