Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing over 2X 2Mbit serial lines

Hi all,

Can any one help me to configure Load balancing on 2620 for my 2X 2Mbit serial lines.Any commands/ Doc's appreciated.

Thanks

Abdul

9 Replies 9

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

What is your routing protocol ?

Hi,

We only use static routes between these routers. Router1 ============= Router2.

Did you already tried putting two static routes pointing to different serial interface for the other end network. (on both router) ??

YOu may enable/disable ip cef based on your preference of per packet level / per destination load balancing.

regds

Rakesh

=====

ahvn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

You can only load balance your outgoing traffic.To do that with your incoming traffic you should be running BGP with your ISP you connect to. In case you wish to load balance your outgoing traffic you just configure two default routes through your two serial interfaces.

Rgds,

Homin

chris.burton
Level 1
Level 1

You can use two equal cost static routes pointing to each of the Serial interfaces.

Chris

sagia
Level 1
Level 1

yes,

i have the same scenario and i have applied CEF (Cisco Express Forwarding) per packet with equal AD. and the load balancing is working fine.

Regards

taib

Running BGP with the ISP is not at all necessary. Even the ISP can have equal metric static routes onto the links.

Enable CEF and enable "ip load-sharing per-packet" on both the links. In this case, each packet is load balanced on these links.

by default you have per-destination load balancing. here a session opened through one link will go through the same link till the session is terminated.

solution: add static routes on your router and enable cef and " ip load-sharing per-packet" on the interfaces. Ask the ISP to do the same thing.

Hi

there are several possible scenarios here.

1. Different ISPs on both of your Serial ifaces. In this case the best solution is to register your own autonomous system and distribute your nets to both providers. You can do per-packet or per-destination load balancing. Per packet load balancing is very CPU intensive and is not recommended on low-end routers.

2. The same ISP on both links. You do not need routing protocol here. Both you and our provider can do equal cost multipath for load balancing of your choice. Routing protocol here is good for quick response to link changes for these routes

sisal
Level 1
Level 1

You could also use PPP Multilink with either a multilink interface or a virtual template.