Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

long range ( 3acres+) wifi integration w/ cell signal booster

Hi all-

Working with a 5 acre parcel to integrate wifi from satellite and non Cisco router. What antennas, AP, repeaters (Cisco of course) should be used to accomplish reliable signal across the 5 acres? elevation change is about 100' on a hill from satellite.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

5 acre's describes an area, and what we really need are dimensions.  Also you haven't indicated what kind of speed you are hoping for.

Having said that, I quite like using Cisco 1532i's.  They can go outdoors, and have an integrated antenna (the 1532E requires external antennas if the internal model wont give you the range/speed required).  They can use the 5Ghz radios to form a backhaul bridge link to link Ethernet networks, and the 2.4Ghz radios for serving clients.

I always use them with Cisco 2504 wireless lan controllers, and let them manage the link.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1530-series/data_sheet_c78-728356.html

ps. The 1532's when combined with a 2504 can also form a MESH for providing broad area coverage as well.

This is not an inexpensive solution either. This will run about $1500. IT might be cheaper to cable the runs left. 

Thanks Philip D' Ath.  Area coverage is 800' by 450' ( current) and expanding to the remaining 5 acre square parcel in future. However, elevation change is about 100' up the side of mountain ( also future). So the immediate need is fairly flat-  

Information you shared I believe will meet the need. 

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card