cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mini BNC Fiber to SC GBIC conversion

gzullich
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have some mini BNC fiber connectors from an old DEC 90 FL repeater and I need to plug them into a GBIC on a 2950. Is there a converter I can use or do I hack off the connectors and have SC connectors installed?

TIA

3 Replies 3

Hello,

check out these media converters:

Micronet Media Converters

http://www.micronet.info/Products/converter/converter.asp

HTH,

GP

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

I assume you have to use multimode fiber that's already in place and is directly tipped with ST connectors. This fiber used to go directly into the DEC repeater, and now you want it to go into a GBIC?

As you said, one way would be to cut off the ST connectors and simply put SC connectors on. This is probably your best solution in the long run.

Another way, that doesn't involve re-tipping the fiber, is to use adapters like the ones used in a fiber patch panel. These will allow you to convert the ST male connector end to an SC female end. Then you can use regular SC/SC patch cables to finish off the link. This could end up costing more than just having someone re-tip the fiber; or it could take a while to get all the parts together.

Corning Cable Systems makes hybrid fiber optic adapters that will let you patch an ST connector to an SC connector. Look for part number TER-STSC for simplex, or TER-STSC-D for duplex, in the following link:

Fiber Optic Adapters/Interconnect Sleeves

"http://www.corningcablesystems.com/web/library/litindex.nsf/$ALL/LAN-304-EN/$FILE/LAN-304-EN.pdf"

Hint: Copy everything between the quotes above to your web browser. Clicking on the partial hyperlink above does not take you to the PDF because of the dollar signs ($) embedded in the URL.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the input, the sleve info is invaluable and appreciated. I really didnt want to go to converters ar they introduce another point of failure. Thanks again.

G

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card