cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi-cast

jrinato
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to pass multicast frames from an inbound interface e0/1 to an outbound interface e0/0. With my analyzer I am seeing the frames on the inbound interface. I have an igmp static-group join for this group. I have ip pim dense mode configured on each interface. Ip multi-cast routing is also enabled. The destination muli-cast mac address is derived correctly from the multi-cast group number. The only thing I see wrong is the type field in the mac header is not set to 0800. Would this stop my router from passing these frames ?

2 Replies 2

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

Yes, If the type of field is not set to IP it won't be forwarded to the IP stack, so eventually will not get forwarded. But I am just wondering why you have got a value other than 0x800?

Thanks, I just needed a second opinion. I thought I was going a little crazy. The vendor sending me this data has since fixed the issue and now the frames have 0x800 in the type field. I did not get a good explanation though. I think there may have been an Ethernet to ATM to Ethernet translation somewhere in all of this. Or maybe it was something within the application. Thanks again

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card