cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple IP addresses on 2950

bill.faber
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a voice and data vlan, each with a seperate IP range. The default VLAN (1) is the data Vlan, but when I enter an IP address under the voice Vlan, the primary Vlan shuts down.

Is it possible to have two IP addresses on a 2950? If not, any ideas on how to make sure each vlan has it;s own unique IP range (I am thinking that trunking to the router may work and do it there).

Any giudance would be appreicated.

3 Replies 3

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

The C2950 is a layer 2 switch. The interface VLAN 1 is considered a management interface . You can have only one VLAN interface enabled simultaniously.

If you need to route between both the voice and data VLANs you can use an external router or multilayer switch i.e. Catalyst 3560/3750.

HTH

--Leon

* Please rate posts.

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

yes you need to have intervlan routing or you can say router on stick... in order to make communication between the different vlan with different subnets.... and you can have only one ip address on layer 2 switch for the manage ment perpose...

HTH

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I think you required two vlan , which can communicate with eachother, for that your need to create to two diffenent Vlan for voice and data, create trunk port, use ISL encap ( Cisco prop), then conneted to the router .

On router , you need to configure two sub interface , which can carry both the traffic.

I hope this will solve the problem. Please rate this post

-MM