cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No IOS in Flash

ld2000
Level 1
Level 1

I found a 3548 in a storeroom today. One problem, it won't boot. I hypertermed into the switch, no IOS in the flash. Here's what I've got:

switch: dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

3 -rwx 94680 <date> c3500XL-diag-mz-120.5.2-XU

4 drwx 6784 <date> html

111 -rwx 2259 <date> config.text

113 -rwx 381 <date> env_vars

2490880 bytes available (1121792 bytes used)

Any ideas on how to push an IOS .bin file up to it? Thanks

8 Replies 8

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you have to xmodem the image into from a pc . try this below. This procedure will take awhile to download at 9600 .

Recovering from Corrupted Software

Switch software can be corrupted during an upgrade, and it is also possible to download the wrong file. In both cases, the switch does not pass POST, and there is no connectivity.

The following procedure uses the XMODEM Protocol to recover from a corrupt or wrong image file. This procedure is largely dependent on the emulation software you are using.

Step 1 Connect a PC with terminal emulation software supporting the XMODEM Protocol to the switch console port.

Step 2 Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

Step 3 Unplug the power cord from the back of the switch.

Step 4 Press and hold in the Mode button, and at the same time, reconnect the power cord to the switch. You can release the Mode button a second or two after the LED above port 1X goes off. The following message appears:

Image not found

Step 5 Although the switch did not boot, you can still use the boot loader to enter commands. Enter the copy xmodem boot loader command to start the transfer.

switch: copy xmodem: flash:image_filename

Step 6 When the XMODEM request appears, use the appropriate command on the terminal-emulation software to start the transfer and copy the software image into Flash memory.

I think I got this far yesterday, and I got a permission denied? When I get back on site tomorrow I will give this a try. Thanks for the info.

Sometimes "permission denied" message is misleading. You get that if you leave off the flash: or bootflash: prefix from the filename. The prefix is mandatory. Try boot flash:c3500XL-diag-mz-120.5.2-XU. If that works, have a look at show boot. If a flash image is specified it must be like flash:c3500XL-diag-mz-120.5.2-XU (with the flash: prefix).

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

That makes sense. I'll make sure I include all the prefixes. Thank you.

whigashi
Level 1
Level 1

I had a simular problem with a cat 2940. Here's the procedure I used.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

To all:

Thanks for the help. The copy xmodem worked fine, of course painful at 9600 baud! I'm glad the image was under 2Mbs!!

You DON'T have to do it at 9600bps. If you have a rom version of IOS and can boot in rommon (which you should have because you just said you could not boot from "flash"). Also, if you didn't have rommon, you could xmodem. When in Rommon you change the console speed. After doing so, you will need to open a new hyperterminal session at the speed you set it to i.e. 115200 bps. Then you can xmodem the file up to the router at 115200bps. Once the file is on the switch and you reboot sucessfully into flash, you can change you console speed back to 9600bps.

Good luck.. my way is much faster.

- Brandon

If I come across another switch without an IOS (which could very well happen!!) I will definitely give it a try your way. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card