cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Only 2 connections on 2620xm

joshk132
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a Cisco 2620XM router to connect to the internet. I have never had to deal with routers before and am at a loss. I am doing this as a test project before getting budget to do production.

I currently have fa0/0 and serial 0/0 as my two interfaces. I have a box that goes from coax to ethernet coming from the ISP. I want to run a cable from this box to my router then to a Cisco 2960 switch. Issue I am having is that there is just one ethernet port. I was told by someone that I can use the same port for in and out. Not sure if this is true or how to do it. Looks to be wrong but I can not find anything online about it. I am thinking that my options are to go from coax to serial or ethernet to serial and do it that way. Suggestions on what to do for a Cisco newbie?

1 Reply 1

Hello

@joshk132 wrote:

I am trying to set up a Cisco 2620XM router to connect to the internet. I have never had to deal with routers before and am at a loss. I am doing this as a test project before getting budget to do production.

I currently have fa0/0 and serial 0/0 as my two interfaces. I have a box that goes from coax to ethernet coming from the ISP. I want to run a cable from this box to my router then to a Cisco 2960 switch. Issue I am having is that there is just one ethernet port. I was told by someone that I can use the same port for in and out. Not sure if this is true or how to do it. Looks to be wrong but I can not find anything online about it. I am thinking that my options are to go from coax to serial or ethernet to serial and do it that way. Suggestions on what to do for a Cisco newbie?

Yes you can its something call "Hairpinning" or "NAT on a Stick"

Basically you have the routed interface running two networks (primary = LAN ip, secondary - WAN ip)

then apply NVI nat which calls on a access-list of the lan subnet to be translated

review this post here-;

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul