Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet tracer download error read only

OptoMan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When I try to download latest packet tracer version 7.3 the download interrupts with an error message that the file is 'read-only'. The download has to be aborted. 

I have checked/un-checked the read-only properties option on the file without luck.

The older version downloads fine. 

Can anyone help?

6 Replies 6

Martin L
VIP
VIP

are you downloading it from Net academy site?  if not, go there look for PT file (u may need to register and take PT course,  after 1 intro class I think it will let you get it)

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Hi, none of this is working for me. 

CarlosAH
Level 1
Level 1

MEDIUM TERM SOLUTION:  I had this problem since 6.0 Version and now in 8.20 version also. Just click on "Ignore" At every Messagebox until finish (be patinet). If you noticed, problem only happens at "samples" and "Templates" folders. Packet tracer will work without this floders anyway. Hope this will help.

Best regards.

buzzy manning
Level 1
Level 1

To Fix this, go to your Program files and find Packet Tracer Folder, Right click- PROPERTIES, there you will see that ReadOnly is checked... Uncheck, this prividledge will then be applied  and the install will complete it'self.  FIXED! 

CarlosAH
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your awnser buzzy manning. I did it as you said, and finally could updated at 8.20 version without any problem.  I wonder, if this will work on a full new packet tracer installation, where no previous cisco packet tracer folder exist (just a setup file). Thanks again.

Best regards.

buzzy manning
Level 1
Level 1

Super!  I'm glad I could share and that it was helpful to others!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: