Views
Helpful
Replies

Port mirroring or span port on an old cisco 1924

n-goes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to do some benchmarking between a client and a server. I was given an old Cisco 1924 switch to branch a test pc and my pc with Sniffer Pro.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to span the traffic from the test pc to my pc.

I just received the switch and I have not yet check which software version is running on that switch.

Regards,

Nadine.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Glen is right that you can span ports on the 1924. That software refers to it as port monitoring rather than calling it span. You will need three commands to get what I believe that you need.

- Use the monitor-port global configuration command to enable port monitoring.

- Use the monitor-port monitored global configuration command to add ports to the monitoring capture list. This identifies the ports that generate the data that you want to capture.

- Use the monitor-port port global configuration command to specify the port to which monitored frames are sent. This is the port where your sniffer is located.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you can span ports on a 1924 , at least with enterprise edition software . I don't remember the exact syntax as I have done it maybe a couple times in my whole life . Probably the easiest way is to just go into the menu and do it there . You can do it from the command line but it was a little different that other catalyst switches.

Glen is right that you can span ports on the 1924. That software refers to it as port monitoring rather than calling it span. You will need three commands to get what I believe that you need.

- Use the monitor-port global configuration command to enable port monitoring.

- Use the monitor-port monitored global configuration command to add ports to the monitoring capture list. This identifies the ports that generate the data that you want to capture.

- Use the monitor-port port global configuration command to specify the port to which monitored frames are sent. This is the port where your sniffer is located.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card