Views
Helpful
Replies

PTPv2 specifications on Cisco Switches

D_antoine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

My application is Broadcast Industry infrastructure related. Specifically PTPv2 implementation.

I'd like to know where in the Cisco Switch specifications do I find if a switch is PTPv2 aware and what does Cisco "call" that specification.

My query is related to this posting here which I don't think was answered: https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/ptp-versus-ptpv2/td-p/3038088

Like this user I am looking for clear specification of which switches I can use in Audio & Video networking installations where PTP needs to be distributed to devices connected to the network.

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

The original standard  IEEE 1588-2008 is superseded this may indicate the current (and only) version IS version2.

look at this Cisco document 

This document describes how to enable a highly accurate timing solution that can provide sub-microsecond accuracy for today’s data center network and financial trading applications by using IEEE 1588-2008 Precision Time Protocol (PTP) Version 2 (PTPv2). PTP is a distributed nanosecond accuracy timing synchronization protocol for packet network.

IEEE 1588-2008 PTPv2 is supported on the Cisco Nexus 3548 Ethernet switches starting from Cisco NX-OS Software Release 6.0(2)A1(1)

The Cisco Nexus 3548 has an extremely precise PTP implementation. Under the most stressful test conditions, Cisco Nexus 3548 PTP accuracy stays under 10 nanoseconds

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

The original standard  IEEE 1588-2008 is superseded this may indicate the current (and only) version IS version2.

look at this Cisco document 

This document describes how to enable a highly accurate timing solution that can provide sub-microsecond accuracy for today’s data center network and financial trading applications by using IEEE 1588-2008 Precision Time Protocol (PTP) Version 2 (PTPv2). PTP is a distributed nanosecond accuracy timing synchronization protocol for packet network.

IEEE 1588-2008 PTPv2 is supported on the Cisco Nexus 3548 Ethernet switches starting from Cisco NX-OS Software Release 6.0(2)A1(1)

The Cisco Nexus 3548 has an extremely precise PTP implementation. Under the most stressful test conditions, Cisco Nexus 3548 PTP accuracy stays under 10 nanoseconds

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card