cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS (quality of service) for CISCO router model 4321

lim lay ling
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following router model at HQ & branches, thinking to implement QOS which the tunnel in VLAN trunk mode.

• HQ router model - ASR
  • Branches router model - 4321

Question:

1. With the infrastructure above is that possible to configure QOS? Since i have only one HQ and 50 branches?
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Assuming you don't implement QoS everywhere, the first place to configure it is on (expected) congested interfaces.

What to try first, on a Cisco router, is a default class setting of fair-queue for all traffic. This will preclude high bandwidth flows from usually being adverse to low bandwidth flows.

However, if you have lots of high bandwidth flows, then the next step is separate high bandwidth flows and low bandwidth flows into separate classes. Then you prioritize low bandwidth flows over high bandwidth flows. (BTW, rather than identifying both classes, you might only identify one, and use class default for all other traffic. Then, depending on which class you've identified, you can prioritize it or de-prioritize it relative to the default class.)

Also, BTW, policing and/or limiting traffic is like 19th century surgery, i.e. we amputate a limb to save a life.

View solution in original post

What kind of WAN topology do you have. I.e. how does the HQ logically and physically connect with each branch.

W/o knowing the prior, cannot provide a specific QoS example, but I can present a logical approach.

What you want to do is first, at the HQ side, is shape traffic to each branch to the rate the branch supports (e.g. 6 Mbps, although I suspect some Cisco shapers don't account for L2 overhead, if yours do not, then you have to shape for about 15% less than nominal bandwidth). Then, prioritize that shaped traffic as desired. For starters, just try FQ within class-default.

Ideally you would also want to implement QoS for the HQ's 70 Mbps too, but not all platforms support this. Since 70 Mbps isn't a physical port speed, you would need to shape for that too.

I.e. for HQ you would want a CBWFQ somewhat like this:

policy-map SampleParent
class class-default
shape average 70000000
fair-queue
service-policy SampleChild

policy-map SampleChild
class branch1
shape average 6000000
fair-queue
class branch2

If you can identify the server(s) doing the large pushes, you can try (again not all platforms support 3 tier) something like:

policy-map SampleChild
class branch1
shape average 6000000
service policy SampleGrandchild
class branch2

policy-map SampleGrandchild
class PatchServers
bandwidth percent 1
fair-queue
class class-default
bandwidth percent 99
fair-queue

On the branch side, you again need to shape, but assuming branches don't much intercommunicate (if they do, that a very important consideration), something like:

policy-map SampleBranch
class class-default
shape average 6000000
fair-queue

In theory, lots of active branches could over run HQ's bandwidth. The two ways to address that, if it becomes a problem, are either to insure the combined bandwidth for all your branch shapers cannot exceed 70 Mbps (which otherwise limits their to HQ bandwidth, yuk) or have QoS on your WAN's egress to your HQ (usually not possible unless running over a MPLS network).

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

These info-resources indicate that it is possible and or provide some examples :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/traffic-policing-question-on-cisco-asr-1001/td-p/2507605

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/4321-qos-question/td-p/2908560

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/qos-and-routers/td-p/2994532

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

My main purposes is to limit someone to push huge data from HQ to branches. It will congest the traffic and cause slowness for other systems. I am thinking to set the QOS at HQ router or branches router? I wish to limit the server IP address. What is the best way to achieve?

HQ  line = 70mpbs

more than 50 Branches and each line = 6mpbs

Assuming you don't implement QoS everywhere, the first place to configure it is on (expected) congested interfaces.

What to try first, on a Cisco router, is a default class setting of fair-queue for all traffic. This will preclude high bandwidth flows from usually being adverse to low bandwidth flows.

However, if you have lots of high bandwidth flows, then the next step is separate high bandwidth flows and low bandwidth flows into separate classes. Then you prioritize low bandwidth flows over high bandwidth flows. (BTW, rather than identifying both classes, you might only identify one, and use class default for all other traffic. Then, depending on which class you've identified, you can prioritize it or de-prioritize it relative to the default class.)

Also, BTW, policing and/or limiting traffic is like 19th century surgery, i.e. we amputate a limb to save a life.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Both models support QoS at L3, which is generally where QoS functions. However, you mention a VLAN in trunk mode, could you elaborate?

Hi Joseph,

With the requirements below.

• HQ  line = 70mpbs single VLAN  (we have total 6 vlan total around 420mpbs,  70mpbs is the bandwidth of single VLAN, 6 vlan for 6 different region)
  • more than 50 Branches and each line = 6mpbs

Question:

1. Server administrator push the huge size ( assume 2 GB size) Windows patches from HQ (70mpbs) to branches (6mpbs) during production hours and caused the link congestion. I want prioritize the bandwidth for other systems in the branches since the windows patches is not first priority.

2. Server administrator could push the Windows patches to single branch or multiple branches which not under our control. Push from HQ no issues but it will be caused slowness at branches which only have 6mpbs bandwidth.

What kind of WAN topology do you have. I.e. how does the HQ logically and physically connect with each branch.

W/o knowing the prior, cannot provide a specific QoS example, but I can present a logical approach.

What you want to do is first, at the HQ side, is shape traffic to each branch to the rate the branch supports (e.g. 6 Mbps, although I suspect some Cisco shapers don't account for L2 overhead, if yours do not, then you have to shape for about 15% less than nominal bandwidth). Then, prioritize that shaped traffic as desired. For starters, just try FQ within class-default.

Ideally you would also want to implement QoS for the HQ's 70 Mbps too, but not all platforms support this. Since 70 Mbps isn't a physical port speed, you would need to shape for that too.

I.e. for HQ you would want a CBWFQ somewhat like this:

policy-map SampleParent
class class-default
shape average 70000000
fair-queue
service-policy SampleChild

policy-map SampleChild
class branch1
shape average 6000000
fair-queue
class branch2

If you can identify the server(s) doing the large pushes, you can try (again not all platforms support 3 tier) something like:

policy-map SampleChild
class branch1
shape average 6000000
service policy SampleGrandchild
class branch2

policy-map SampleGrandchild
class PatchServers
bandwidth percent 1
fair-queue
class class-default
bandwidth percent 99
fair-queue

On the branch side, you again need to shape, but assuming branches don't much intercommunicate (if they do, that a very important consideration), something like:

policy-map SampleBranch
class class-default
shape average 6000000
fair-queue

In theory, lots of active branches could over run HQ's bandwidth. The two ways to address that, if it becomes a problem, are either to insure the combined bandwidth for all your branch shapers cannot exceed 70 Mbps (which otherwise limits their to HQ bandwidth, yuk) or have QoS on your WAN's egress to your HQ (usually not possible unless running over a MPLS network).

Hi Joseph,

I have the idea now. Let's try and see the result!

Question:

1. Shaping is required for this kind of Scenario? I have to create a child class priority or bandwidth on the top on it attach to parent class-default shaping.

Yes, shaping is required because your contracted bandwidth is less than port speed (correct?).

The shaping possibly create congestion at your contracted rate, and if it does, then a subordinate policy will manage the congestion as you desire. (W/o shaping, you would only see congestion when you exceed the capacity of the port.)