Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about LACP distance restriction

Yuyang Jin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am considering to setup LACP between two different sites via E-LINE service, just wondering if there is any distance restriction on this? Or is there any special configuration I need to do on LACP to overcome delay caused by the long distance?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Vivek Ruhil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

There is no such distance restriction laid out in the MEF. What are the equipments you are using?

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for the quick reply. The 3750ME switches are used. The distance between sites are around 300km. Will the delay be issue?

Hi

Normal LACP dead timer is 90sec. Assuming the ISP core is well built it shouldn't be a problem becuase only after a 90sec delay will the LACP neighbor be detected as down.

By the way, what is the requirement to have LACP over an E-Line service, can alternate options be not looked at.

Regards

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for the reply. The goal is to have link redundancy meanwhile avoid unnessary traffic replication (for layer 3 multicast).

Background is that the EPL provider is ourself, so that we want to save bandwidth.

One side of the device is router with bundle interface  (layer 3), the other side is switch with bundle interface (layer 2),  and hosts with IGMP join connected to the switch. With LACP, I can have  one IP address for the two interfaces on the router meanwhile only one  copy of traffic is sent over EPL.

One other question is  that you mentioned that the failure detection is 90sec, I think it is  too long. How do I tune it? Decrease the hello time or can I use BFD  for LACP?

Am  intrigued !! what is that your end goal ?

Steven Clinton
Level 1
Level 1

There are a couple of important questions here:

What is the handoff of the EVPL (layer2 or layer)
Will they accept and tunnel your lacp packets?
Are you trying to port-channel multiple EVPLs to increase bandwidth?

Will it be the same carrier for the EVPL and is there delivery the same?

If you don't mind me asking, what is the ultimate goal.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the reply. The goal is to have link redundancy meanwhile avoid unnessary traffic replication (for layer 3 multicast).

Background is that the EPL provider is ourself, so that we want to save bandwidth.

One side of the device is router with bundle interface (layer 3), the other side is switch with bundle interface (layer 2), and hosts with IGMP join connected to the switch. With LACP, I can have one IP address for the two interfaces on the router meanwhile only one copy of traffic is sent over EPL.

One other question is that Vivek mentioned that the failure detection is 90sec, I think it is too long. How do I tune it? Decrease the hello time or can I use BFD for LACP?