cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on Example 4-20 in Doyle's "Routing TCP/IP, Volume II"

briedcan
Level 1
Level 1

A co-worker and I are trying to figure out the reason for a particular statement in this example...hoping for some help. This example is the Surf & Sand network merger. Our question has to do with access-list 1. The exact line in question is this:

access-list 1 deny 10.255.13.254

I am having a very hard time comprehending the reason that the access list being applied on an inside interface is denying the outside interface. Can anyone clarify this for me? Come on guys get out your books and look at this for me. Thanks for your help.

bc

2 Replies 2

ekhoo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

access-list 1 deny 10.255.13.254 is to prevent the E1 ip address that connected to Sand being translated in to 203.100.176.0/20.

From my opinion.. NAT will still work without that additional deny ACL. I don't think E1 ip address will ever get translated in to NAT.. Except you want to translate ip nat outside....

Thats pretty much the same track that we were on...I don't know why the E1 would ever need to be translated.

Does anybody else have any ideas...something that we might have missed? Harrold...Shanky?

Either way...thanks for the help guys.

bc

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card