Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick Frame-Relay traffic-shaping question

gprokschg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have 85 Frame Relay sites in a hub type configuration. I need to implement frame relay traffic shaping and am aware of all the steps required.

The question is, is it OK to configure all the sub int's with the "frame-relay class XYZ" command without actually turning on the shaping on the physical interface? I need to know in case I want to back out of the config. It's quicker than going into each sub int and removing the "frame-relay class XYZ" statements.

Cheers,

Gordon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Gordon,

indeed, without turning on frame-relay traffic shaping on the physical interface, the classes on the subinterface won´t work. So, you can configure the classes on the subinterfaces, they will only take effect if you turn on traffic shaping on the physical interface.

HTH,

Georg

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello Gordon,

indeed, without turning on frame-relay traffic shaping on the physical interface, the classes on the subinterface won´t work. So, you can configure the classes on the subinterfaces, they will only take effect if you turn on traffic shaping on the physical interface.

HTH,

Georg

Georg,

I read your explaination to Gordon's question regarding Frame-Relay Shaping. I am a new CCNA ( already working on the CCNP ), and new to the WAN support environment.

When you have a moment, can you tell me the syntax that would envoke " frame-relay shaping " ??

Thank you for your time......

Tony

Tony,

Here is the link that may help you understand the FRTS implementation.

Need CCO login:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk713/tk237/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800942f8.shtml#g

Hope this helps,

Ben

Hello Tony,

basically, frame relay traffic shaping is invoked by configuring the interface with the ´frame-relay traffic-shaping´ command. Once you have done that, issue the command ´show traffic-shape´ and you can see that some default traffic shaping parameters are applied to all the DLCIs on that interface.

In addition to the link mentioned by Ben below, you might also want to check this one:

Frame Relay Traffic Shaping

http://www.internetworkexpert.com/resources/01700368.htm

HTH,

GP

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card