cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router and dual ISP connections from different providers

rbinc
Level 1
Level 1

Ok - bear with me here - I am new to this realm :) I currently have two different ISP providers and I currently use on for testing (waste of a t1 in my opinion because I have a dmz off my other t1) and the other as my production environment. I would love to use both to increase my bandwidth for my production enviroment. Could I do this with my 3640 with a wic2t card? Could I configure this router to use both and use the other in a failover situation?

thanks for any input

Jenn

2 Replies 2

navasil
Level 1
Level 1

Running Border Gateway Routing Protocol (BGP) on your 3640 box would solve this problem. It is a practical way to utilize dual ISP connections. No need to accept full Internet route from both ISPs.

ahvn
Level 1
Level 1

The hardware u have is very much sufficient for your requirement.But the constraint arises from the issue that whether u have your own IP's and AS number from NIC and is running BGP or u r relying on static routing from yr different ISP's.If former is the case you can very much use both links and still keep your network afloat in case of one link failure.But if later is the case then I am affraid your requirement is not attainable because of various reasons like both links u have from the two ISP's will be routing different subnets and its not possible to load balance or fine tune your network in that circumstance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: