cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sending logs to different servers

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

We are running the Cat-3524's and need to send logs to two different syslog servers. So, we have configured "logging 172.21.87.1" and "logging 172.17.87.1". The 172.21.87.1 server receives logs OK, but not the 172.17.87.1 one.

Does anybody know if there a limit to only one syslog server per the Cat-3524 switch?

Thanks.

12 Replies 12

smif101
Level 4
Level 4

I researched it and found nowhere that you can only have one syslog server. In the config does it state both of them? What version of IOS are you running? Can you ping 172.17.87.1? If you only put 172.17.87.1 as the logging server, does it receive it then?

Jason Smith

www.smif101.com

Both of them are in the config and we can successfully ping both servers from the switches. The IOS version is 12.0<5>WC3b.

thanks.

I also wonder if it's a matter of semantic - I used 2 separate Logging statements. May be I should have used only one and separated the syslog servers' IP addresses with a comma?

You can't enter both on the same line for this statement, the way you have it is correct. Did you try to enter just the one that isn't working and getting rid of the one that is, that way you can determine if there is a misconfiguration on the syslog server that isn't allowing it to take the log messages.

Thank you for your responses. The log server that is NOT getting the logs is CW2K. I am beginning to wonder if it has the right configuration for receiving the logs from the Cat-35XX switches.

I can, however, see these switches using the CiscoView portion of the CW2K.

I think CW2k has it's own builtin syslog server. Are you looking for syslog messages on the CW2K syslog server or some 3rd party syslog server you installed separately?

Thanks for your response.

We're looking for syslog messages from Cat-3524 on the CW2K syslog server.

To clarify...CW2K to my knowledge has its own syslog service running. If you installed some other kind of syslog software on the same server they could be conflicting.

nemmco
Level 1
Level 1

Our 3524XL's are sending to 3 syslog server OK using Version 12.0(5)WC8.

logging 10.nn.nn.nn

logging 10.nn.nn.nn

logging 10.nn.nn.nn

Did any of your syslog servers happen to be CiscoWorks?

One syslog server is CiscoWorks. If you are using CiscoWork, check the 'CSCOpx\log\syslog.log' file. If the syslog analyser is not running (correctly), it may not show the syslog entries although they are being collected.

The syslog analyser is running OK as syslog messages from other switches (Cat-2950, Cat-2980G) are coming fine. What IDU do you have configured on your RME 3.4? Thanks again.