Views
Helpful
Replies

Shut Down INT VLAN 1

lejack99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need some advice on shutting down int vlan 1. Would that be a problem if int vlan 1 is being shut down?

I want to change the network management from Vlan 1 to Vlan 999 and increase the subnet size. Current network mgmt int is on the int vlan 1 and I would like to leave it unused and shut it down. All the trunks are using dot1q and and native vlan 1. I heard that shutting down int vlan 1 will bring the trunk down due to the native vlan is using 1.

Please advice. Thanks!

4 Replies 4

aebright
Level 1
Level 1

Shutting down int vlan 1 will not affect your trunk links. The layer 2 vlan 1 will still exists. It will only affect traffic going to int vlan 1.

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

There's no problem here at all.

If you already have configured VLAN 1 with an IP address on it, you can switch this address (if you want to) to vlan 999 as follows

# int vlan 999

management

I know you can do this on various switches, i used it today on a 2924, however i know you can't do it on the (even) older switches such as 1900's

Here is the blurb from Cisco...

Management

----------

Use the management interface configuration command to shutdown the current management VLAN interface and enable the new management VLAN interface. The management VLAN is the VLAN used for managing a cluster of switches. To use this VLAN for switch management, apply this VLAN to a switched virtual interface or the management interface. The default management VLAN is VLAN 1, however it can be changed to a new management interface on a different VLAN with valid IDs from 1 to 1001.

This command also copies the current management VLAN IP information to the new management VLAN interface if no new IP address or network mask is provided. It also copies the cluster standby group configuration to the new management VLAN.

HTH

PD

Just don't forget to change the default gateway too, if you are moving your management address into another IP subnet.

It's a litle tricky, especially on CatOS.

If you are making these changes on remote site device, you can lose your connection easily.

There is a good practice to configure a scheduled reload (reload in 15 on IOS CLI, e.g.) for the device, and if you lose your connection, the device will reload in 15 minutes with the old startup config.

Regards,

Milan

mallenson
Level 4
Level 4

If you are changing management VLANs you will likely have to change your remote device VLAN assignment as well or you will loose connectivity to management of the remote devices. For instance on a L2 switch located in a remote closet the default VLAN used when you assign it an address is "int VLAN1" You might be better off moving to a new IP range so you can run both until you are fully moved over to the new VLAN.

Hope this helps!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card