Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN across etherchannel trunk

aemr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have (2) 2980 switches each w/ 5 client vlans. Clients primary NICs and ISP uplink are connected to vlans on switch1. Client secondary NICs are connected to vlans on switch2.

The switches are trunking all vlans over gigabit etherchannel connection between them. The native vlan for this trunk is only used on the trunk ends and not for the client vlans.

I have a packet analyzer connected to switch2. Since the clients active NICs are on switch1, when I Vspan a client vlan on switch2 to the analzyer port on switch 2 I only get the multicast or broadcast traffic.

What is the best way to Vspan vlan traffic from switch1 to analyzer port on switch2?

Can it be done with the native vlan of the GIGetherchannel?

Thank you,

Art

1 Reply 1

robho
Level 3
Level 3

You will need to use RSPAN. With this feature, you will need to create an RSPAN vlan and allow it on the trunk. You'll also need to meet the minimum SW requirements to use this feature as well.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/rel7_6/config/span.htm

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: