cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

span problem

ttuncaral
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured a port as SPAN destination on a 6509 and attached to monitor a TRUNK port as source. configuration is XMIT/RECV mode and inpkts DISABLED. LEARNING enabled no FILTER VLAN set. 6509 is acting as a VTP server and SPAN monitored source port has a VTP client on it.

The problem is: I am monitoring packets which originates from different sources that do not belong to monitored port. In other words, SPAN monitor receives packets from devices which both are located on different and unmonitored ports of the same 6509.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something on configuration?

Any help would be much appreciated.

ps.6509 running 6.1 CatOS.

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would expect to see any broadcast/multicast/unknown unicast traffic in the VLAN in question but not known unicast traffic. If you are seeing unicast traffic, them probably it is because of unicast flooding. Check out the following tech tip to troubleshoot this issue

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/143.html

I see a high unicast traffic between two device. First I thought that it was a broadcast or multicast but analyser reports show that it is a unicast data transfer. I will check the document you recommend and try to find a symptom which causes this problem.

I would say we are running HSRP on 6500 and 2948 on edge as the tech document reveals.

Thank you for your help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card