cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Speed problem on 16 port Modem Module

jmitchell
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CISCO 16 port Modem module in a 2610. Now each time I dial in to the CISCO from my station, I can only get 300bps !

I am using telnet or connecting to a port on a UNIX host.

I have tried a variety of modems from my end and also changed the modem cap to the various makes available but there is no improvement. Where am I going wrong andwhat should I do ?

John L. Mitchell

4 Replies 4

jeff
Level 1
Level 1

You'll have to isolate the problem. First, check your Comm port setup on the pc your dialing from. Many times, the pc will default to that speed no matter what speed the modem is set at. Try also from the other end (from modem mod to pc)

Try another PC with different OS. If you get the same speed, then the problem is with the dial lines or modem module. Do you have the modem set for Harwdare flow control or Xonn/Xoff? Its POSSIBLE, but unlikely, that the dial lines are so impaired that you can only get 300 bps. Try those dial lines with stand alone modems.

I tried the same lines using external modems and am able to connect at 33.6 kbps. I have changed PCs as well.

I firmly believe its the CISCO maybe I am using a wrong ModemCap?

John L. Mitchell

This sounds like CSCdm86610 (NM-AM starts answering in Bell103, then goes bad). Make sure you have IOS > 12.1(3.1) or 12.1(3.3)T as it has the bundled NM firmware with the fix . If you are already running a later code(most preferably some 12.1(latest) mainline or 12.2(latest) mainline) , it might be a problematic NM card that needs a replacement.

~Zulfi

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card