Views
Helpful
Replies

STP

jkh_tt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

does each root bridge mac address of each vlan which created on a single core switch the same? What will cause an access switch to lose 3x BPDU from the core with a direct connection?

thanks!

3 Replies 3

Hello,

I do not understand the first part of your question, but regarding the loss of BPDU packets, the reason could be excessive collisions and subsequent packet loss, possibly because of a duplex mismatch. You might want to check this document, I think you need a CCO logon to view it:

Troubleshooting Spanning-Tree Protocol and Related Design Considerations

http://www.okena.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00800951ac.shtml

Regards,

Georg

skarundi
Level 4
Level 4

in a per vlan spanning tree environment, each spanning tree instance (vlan) will have a different root bridge mac address. If you find that the root bridge mac address is the same for a couple of vlans then these vlans have been bridged. This can result in a bridging loop. Unfortunately I do not understand the 2nd question.

hi there,

the access switch is directly connected to a core switch, however, during the day, there were a few instance that the access switch loses the BPDU causes the access switch to max-time out. And the STP re-calculate again!...thanks!