cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup 720 newbie

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have a question , when you create a layer 2 vlan on these supervisors where does this information get put ? I don't see it anywhere in the config even though the layer 2 was created . This is in contrast to say a 4506 with sup II plus where if you create the vlan it actually shows up in the running config, i don't see this on the sup 720 . Another question is what is needed to do a complete backup of the config ? Before you just had to do a copy of the running config to the tftp server . Do have to save the vlan.dat files also ? This is our first foray into Native world of the 6500's , we always were running hybrid before . Thanks for your input...

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The vlan.dat file is in

W2S-3.7-C6509-A#dir const_nvram:

Directory of const_nvram:/

1 -rw- 3376 vlan.dat

129004 bytes total (125628 bytes free)

W2S-3.7-C6509-A#

If you have VTP mode set to transparent, the VLANs will be in the running config and hence no need to back up the vlan.dat file. If you have server/client config, you will have to.

Thanks prkrishn , this is what i was looking for . It would certainly help a lot if they could just combine everything into the running config instead of having to save the vlan.dat file also .

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card