cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

to to get gig speed out of 3745

networks3214
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 3745 routers about 3/4 miles apaart connected via VERY high speed wireless. In the back of each router I have two GBIC's. Into each GBIC I plugged to gigabit capable millimeter wave microwave radios. I have these two GBIC's interfaces (G1/0 and G2/0) in the same port-channel so if one goes down the other still works and the route stays up.

The problem is I have a 100meg bottle neck at the fastE interface. I have a 2Gps pipe between these routers but they plug into my LAN at only 100Mbps.

I added a 16port switch network module into the back of each router. Each switch module has 1 gigabit port.

I wanted to make the gigabit port my LAN interface but it wil not let me give it an address since it is a Layer 2 device.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem. I want the router to plug into my LAN at gig speeds to help me leverage the gig speed on my WAN ports.

Thanks in advance

-Michael

5 Replies 5

dbellazetin
Level 4
Level 4

Michael,

I don't know if this will work on the 3745, but on the 1700's this will work with the switch wic.

First try putting "no switchport" on the Gig interface and see if it takes. If yes you should be able to put an IP on it.

Example-

interface gig x

no switchport

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

If that doesn't work that port should be a part of VLAN 1 by default so go into interface vlan 1 and try putting an IP address on it.

Example -

interface vlan x

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

Daniel

Michael,

Daniel is right on his first approach. You have to configure the gig interface as a routed port (using 'no switchport' command) . More information can be found below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5012/products_feature_guide09186a008018165b.html#1823777

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for the help. I downloaded the PDF of that white paper just now so I will start messing with it.

I knew there had to be a way to make that port a router interface instead of a switched port.

Thanks again.

-Mike

Damn! the no switchport command didn't work.

I will try the VLAN approach. I just want the gig port on my switch module to be my lan interface.

Thanks for the tip. I think that will work. i am going to try it today.

-Mike

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card