cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading the IOS without reloading - 4507R

poulid
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I want to upgrade the IOS on my 4507R (currently running 12.1(19)EW1), and the documentation says that since I have redundant Sup's, I don't need to reload the switch. The problem is that it says that the modules will reload, which, assuming it means all of the modules in the switch, will essentially bring the network down anyway.

Am I reading the docs right? This is our core switch, and I would really like it if everything connected to it didn't have to drop while the modules (WS-X4548-GB-RJ45, WS-X4306-GB) rebooted.

Any advice?

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is correct. Since 12.1 code only supports RPR all line cards would be reloaded when you reload the active Supervisor.

Thanks for the response. I was hoping to use the "Policy Based Routing: Recursive Next Hop" feature, but it looks like it's not out for the 4507 yet anyway. Oh well, might as well upgrade anyway, I'm sure there are some new features we can use.

Yep. 2 more reasons..

1)12.1 is closed and no more releases in it. So for any bug fixes, you will have to go to 12.2

2)Also 12.2 has enhancements to better handle transient issues. 12.2(18)EW3 should be a good release to run (if you do not need SSO). If you need SSO consider 12.2(25)EWA

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/relnotes/ol_5184.htm

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card